PHOENIX — A massive gun buy-back hosted by the City of Phoenix could end early as the supply of grocery gift cards — which are given in exchange for unwanted firearms — is beginning to run low.
Last weekend, more than 800 handguns, shotguns and rifles were turned in at three Valley churches and $80,000 worth of grocery cards were handed out. The program has about 60 gift cards left over for this weekend, plus 25 more made possible by online donations.
This Saturday, there will be only one location for the weekend buyback: the Betania Presbyterian Church near Thomas Road and 39th Avenue. The event runs 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but once the gift card supply is exhausted, they will call it a day.
“It’s first-come, first-served this weekend,” said Hildy Saizow with Arizonans For Gun Safety. “Last weekend was amazing. Cars were lined up for blocks. People with firearms they no longer wanted.”
Saizow said, even though May 18 is still a go for the final day of three buybacks, they could be tapped out on gift cards after Saturday.
“We’ll see if additional donations come in. We have had a terrific response.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food