PHOENIX — A massive gun buy-back hosted by the City of Phoenix could end early as the supply of grocery gift cards — which are given in exchange for unwanted firearms — is beginning to run low.
Last weekend, more than 800 handguns, shotguns and rifles were turned in at three Valley churches and $80,000 worth of grocery cards were handed out. The program has about 60 gift cards left over for this weekend, plus 25 more made possible by online donations.
This Saturday, there will be only one location for the weekend buyback: the Betania Presbyterian Church near Thomas Road and 39th Avenue. The event runs 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., but once the gift card supply is exhausted, they will call it a day.
“It’s first-come, first-served this weekend,” said Hildy Saizow with Arizonans For Gun Safety. “Last weekend was amazing. Cars were lined up for blocks. People with firearms they no longer wanted.”
Saizow said, even though May 18 is still a go for the final day of three buybacks, they could be tapped out on gift cards after Saturday.
“We’ll see if additional donations come in. We have had a terrific response.”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas