It may have taken over four decades, but Randy Sanders is now a graduate of Arizona State University.
According to the East Valley Tribune, Sanders originally enrolled at ASU in 1971, but ran into a cluster of problems over the years.
First he had eye problems that wouldn’t allow him to focus on the teacher or chalkboard. He also had bad knees that made it hard to walk. And he even had a heart attack on top of A Mountain. “It was stress. I was face down up there for I don’t know how long.”
Sanders was also homeless for a short time.
After meeting a woman, Sanders turned his life around and, 42 years after he began, has an undergraduate degree.
Sanders studied Russian at ASU but also speaks Mandarin, Albanian and other languages. He plans to teach English overseas.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night