It may have taken over four decades, but Randy Sanders is now a graduate of Arizona State University.
According to the East Valley Tribune, Sanders originally enrolled at ASU in 1971, but ran into a cluster of problems over the years.
First he had eye problems that wouldn’t allow him to focus on the teacher or chalkboard. He also had bad knees that made it hard to walk. And he even had a heart attack on top of A Mountain. “It was stress. I was face down up there for I don’t know how long.”
Sanders was also homeless for a short time.
After meeting a woman, Sanders turned his life around and, 42 years after he began, has an undergraduate degree.
Sanders studied Russian at ASU but also speaks Mandarin, Albanian and other languages. He plans to teach English overseas.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development