It may have taken over four decades, but Randy Sanders is now a graduate of Arizona State University.
According to the East Valley Tribune, Sanders originally enrolled at ASU in 1971, but ran into a cluster of problems over the years.
First he had eye problems that wouldn’t allow him to focus on the teacher or chalkboard. He also had bad knees that made it hard to walk. And he even had a heart attack on top of A Mountain. “It was stress. I was face down up there for I don’t know how long.”
Sanders was also homeless for a short time.
After meeting a woman, Sanders turned his life around and, 42 years after he began, has an undergraduate degree.
Sanders studied Russian at ASU but also speaks Mandarin, Albanian and other languages. He plans to teach English overseas.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America