DOVER, Del. (AP) – A Delaware judge is refusing to block the merger of mining company Freeport-McMoRan with oil and gas producer Plains Exploration & Production Co.
Some Plains shareholders have challenged the merger, saying Plains’ board of directors failed to get the best sale price and did not provide adequate information to shareholders. Attorneys for the shareholders sought a preliminary injunction to block the merger.
The judge on Thursday denied the request, saying the plaintiffs have not shown that their claims have a reasonable probability of success.
Phoenix-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. said in December that it would pay $6.9 billion in cash and stock for Plains, and $2.1 billion for McMoRan Exploration Co., another oil and gas producer.
Plains shareholders are set to vote on the deal May 20.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments