PHOENIX — Most 18-year-olds wouldn’t walk a mile to work much less six miles each way but that’s exactly what Christian Felix was doing until a chance encounter with a Phoenix police officer.
Now, Felix is one easy rider Thursday after Phoenix police at the North Command Station presented him with a bicycle.
“Someone who doesn’t even know me just offers to do something extremely nice for me. I was just like, ‘Wow,’ ” Felix said.
Sgt. Natalie Simonik stopped Felix one night in March near 27th Avenue and Deer Valley Road in April for a possible curfew violation. She found out a a few things, chief among them: 1. at 18 the curfew law didn’t apply to him (juveniles under 16 cannot be out of their homes between 10 p.m.-5 a.m.); 2. the young man was on his way home from work, with a few miles to go, a walk he made regularly.
Simonik gave Felix a ride home. He didn’t own a bike or even know how to ride one. Simonik, who was impressed with Felix’s determination, jumped in to help.
“We brought him to the precinct and taught him how to ride a bicycle in the parking lot,” Simonik said.
Felix’s mother, Jessica Muniz, was flabbergasted.
“She cared about him and she didn’t even know him. That just touched me so much,” Muniz said of Simonik.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night