PHOENIX — Most 18-year-olds wouldn’t walk a mile to work much less six miles each way but that’s exactly what Christian Felix was doing until a chance encounter with a Phoenix police officer.
Now, Felix is one easy rider Thursday after Phoenix police at the North Command Station presented him with a bicycle.
“Someone who doesn’t even know me just offers to do something extremely nice for me. I was just like, ‘Wow,’ ” Felix said.
Sgt. Natalie Simonik stopped Felix one night in March near 27th Avenue and Deer Valley Road in April for a possible curfew violation. She found out a a few things, chief among them: 1. at 18 the curfew law didn’t apply to him (juveniles under 16 cannot be out of their homes between 10 p.m.-5 a.m.); 2. the young man was on his way home from work, with a few miles to go, a walk he made regularly.
Simonik gave Felix a ride home. He didn’t own a bike or even know how to ride one. Simonik, who was impressed with Felix’s determination, jumped in to help.
“We brought him to the precinct and taught him how to ride a bicycle in the parking lot,” Simonik said.
Felix’s mother, Jessica Muniz, was flabbergasted.
“She cared about him and she didn’t even know him. That just touched me so much,” Muniz said of Simonik.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development