PHOENIX — Most 18-year-olds wouldn’t walk a mile to work much less six miles each way but that’s exactly what Christian Felix was doing until a chance encounter with a Phoenix police officer.
Now, Felix is one easy rider Thursday after Phoenix police at the North Command Station presented him with a bicycle.
“Someone who doesn’t even know me just offers to do something extremely nice for me. I was just like, ‘Wow,’ ” Felix said.
Sgt. Natalie Simonik stopped Felix one night in March near 27th Avenue and Deer Valley Road in April for a possible curfew violation. She found out a a few things, chief among them: 1. at 18 the curfew law didn’t apply to him (juveniles under 16 cannot be out of their homes between 10 p.m.-5 a.m.); 2. the young man was on his way home from work, with a few miles to go, a walk he made regularly.
Simonik gave Felix a ride home. He didn’t own a bike or even know how to ride one. Simonik, who was impressed with Felix’s determination, jumped in to help.
“We brought him to the precinct and taught him how to ride a bicycle in the parking lot,” Simonik said.
Felix’s mother, Jessica Muniz, was flabbergasted.
“She cared about him and she didn’t even know him. That just touched me so much,” Muniz said of Simonik.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns