PHOENIX — About 1,000 people stood in front of the Maricopa County Superior Courthouse on Wednesday to heard to verdict in the Jodi Arias trial.
“Justice was served today. I’m so excited,” said Kathy Brown, who once met Travis Alexander’s family.
Many shared Brown’s sentiments.
“It’s just horrible what has happened,” said Bee Rios, adding that she would have been shocked if Arias was not convicted of first-degree murder.
Some were nervous when it was announced the verdict would be read Wednesday and began wondering if Arias would walk away.
“I was a little bit worried when they brought Alice LaViolette in,” said Ann Kallenberger. “Some of the testimony from her standpoint was conflicting and, as a professional in the psychological field, that it would impact the way the jurors saw it.”
Arias has yet to be sentenced in the case. For some like Brown, the verdict brought some comfort.
“At least [the Alexander family] has something they can celebrate,” she said.
But Brown knows real closure won’t come until Arias is sentenced to either life in prison or death.
“This is not closure yet,” she said. “It won’t be until the final phases go through.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food