PHOENIX — About 1,000 people stood in front of the Maricopa County Superior Courthouse on Wednesday to heard to verdict in the Jodi Arias trial.
“Justice was served today. I’m so excited,” said Kathy Brown, who once met Travis Alexander’s family.
Many shared Brown’s sentiments.
“It’s just horrible what has happened,” said Bee Rios, adding that she would have been shocked if Arias was not convicted of first-degree murder.
Some were nervous when it was announced the verdict would be read Wednesday and began wondering if Arias would walk away.
“I was a little bit worried when they brought Alice LaViolette in,” said Ann Kallenberger. “Some of the testimony from her standpoint was conflicting and, as a professional in the psychological field, that it would impact the way the jurors saw it.”
Arias has yet to be sentenced in the case. For some like Brown, the verdict brought some comfort.
“At least [the Alexander family] has something they can celebrate,” she said.
But Brown knows real closure won’t come until Arias is sentenced to either life in prison or death.
“This is not closure yet,” she said. “It won’t be until the final phases go through.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns