TEMPE — An 18-year-old high school student was arrested Tuesday night for possession of at least three explosive devices and other prohibited materials.
Tempe Police arrested Joshua Prater, a senior at Marcos de Niza High School, for misconduct involving weapons and possession of a prohibited weapon and an improvised explosive device. Prater told police he had made the devices several years ago.
Wednesday morning, police said it didn’t appear Prater had planned to set off any of the devices.
According to police, at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, a housekeeper found a device that looked like a bomb in Prater’s bedroom and immediately took it to a fire station on McClintock Drive near Baseline Road.
After investigating the device, the fire department notified police and an explosive ordnance disposal unit was called to the scene.
“When our bomb squad got out there, they got an X-ray and looked inside,” said police Sgt. Mike Pooley. “They indeed said it was a valid IED. … It was something that could have seriously hurt somebody, in fact killed them.”
The IED was disabled at the scene.
The housekeeper also alerted police that she found more materials at the residence, located on the 1600 block of East Candlestick Road. Detectives spent the evening searching the area for more devices and related materials.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy