TEMPE — An 18-year-old high school student was arrested Tuesday night for possession of at least three explosive devices and other prohibited materials.
Tempe Police arrested Joshua Prater, a senior at Marcos de Niza High School, for misconduct involving weapons and possession of a prohibited weapon and an improvised explosive device. Prater told police he had made the devices several years ago.
Wednesday morning, police said it didn’t appear Prater had planned to set off any of the devices.
According to police, at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, a housekeeper found a device that looked like a bomb in Prater’s bedroom and immediately took it to a fire station on McClintock Drive near Baseline Road.
After investigating the device, the fire department notified police and an explosive ordnance disposal unit was called to the scene.
“When our bomb squad got out there, they got an X-ray and looked inside,” said police Sgt. Mike Pooley. “They indeed said it was a valid IED. … It was something that could have seriously hurt somebody, in fact killed them.”
The IED was disabled at the scene.
The housekeeper also alerted police that she found more materials at the residence, located on the 1600 block of East Candlestick Road. Detectives spent the evening searching the area for more devices and related materials.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas