PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix has launched the Green Organics Program in an effort to get residents to recycle green organic waste.
The program accepts yard trimmings, tree clippings and even horse manure.
Jeff Whitlock, an environmental specialist for the City of Phoenix Public Works Department, said people can sign up to receive a tan-colored bin to put the organic waste into if they agree to pay $8 a month.
“We pick it up, we haul it to the landfill, we mulch it and we put it back out to the public,” he said. “It’s cheaper for us…and we recycle and reuse.”
It’s as easy as taking the clippings, throwing it in the bin without bags and putting it out to the street the regular day of collection.
The goal of the program is to save landfill space. As a pilot program, the city hopes to enroll 5,000 customers in targeted areas of the city, according to a press release.
To sign up for the Green Organics Program or to get additional information, call 602-262-7251.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.