PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix has launched the Green Organics Program in an effort to get residents to recycle green organic waste.
The program accepts yard trimmings, tree clippings and even horse manure.
Jeff Whitlock, an environmental specialist for the City of Phoenix Public Works Department, said people can sign up to receive a tan-colored bin to put the organic waste into if they agree to pay $8 a month.
“We pick it up, we haul it to the landfill, we mulch it and we put it back out to the public,” he said. “It’s cheaper for us…and we recycle and reuse.”
It’s as easy as taking the clippings, throwing it in the bin without bags and putting it out to the street the regular day of collection.
The goal of the program is to save landfill space. As a pilot program, the city hopes to enroll 5,000 customers in targeted areas of the city, according to a press release.
To sign up for the Green Organics Program or to get additional information, call 602-262-7251.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns