PHOENIX — When families with find themselves without a place to live, some will choose the streets over a shelter that doesn’t allow pets.
“We’d offer them foster capability and they would refuse shelter,” said Ted Taylor of Family Promise of Greater Phoenix. “They would rather stay with their pet than come into our program and, by the way, that was true of all the emergency programs.”
That was the case until PetSmart partnered with Family Promise and transformed a two-bedroom unit at the Scottsdale shelter into a sanctuary for dogs and cats. It’s a place where Amy and her two kids can visit their 6-year-old dog Congo.
“I think if I had to get rid of my dog my kids would go through a depression,” she said. “The kids love him. They wouldn’t know what to do without him.”
Family Promise is able to hold eight dogs and eight cats. They also partnered with the Arizona Humane Society and offer wellness checks, spaying and neutering. Taylor said 100 percent of families that have been offered spaying and neutering services have accepted.
The PetSmart Promise program in Scottsdale has been so successful that the company plans to add three more facilities to Family Promise locations in other states this year. In a press release, PetSmart said its goal is to add five new facilities each year until all 182 Family Promise facilities have the opportunity to participate in the program.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development