PHOENIX — If Jodi Arias is convicted of murder in her trial for the killing of Travis Alexander, she will never see a dime off of book or movie deals.
Valley defense attorney Mike Black said Arizona has a statute which bans convicted felons from making any money.
“There can be a contract, but it must specifically state that the proceeds will go directly to the Arizona Industrial Commission.”
The victims then have five years to make a claim with the Industrial Commission for any of the proceeds.
“This goes all the way back to the David Berkowitz case, the Son of Sam,” said Black. “New York adopted a statute that precluded him from making any money.”
Son of Sam is an infamous 1970s New York City serial killer who killed six people and wounded several others.
One Lifetime Network movie, called “Dirty Little Secret,” is already in the works about the Arias trial.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier