PHOENIX — If Jodi Arias is convicted of murder in her trial for the killing of Travis Alexander, she will never see a dime off of book or movie deals.
Valley defense attorney Mike Black said Arizona has a statute which bans convicted felons from making any money.
“There can be a contract, but it must specifically state that the proceeds will go directly to the Arizona Industrial Commission.”
The victims then have five years to make a claim with the Industrial Commission for any of the proceeds.
“This goes all the way back to the David Berkowitz case, the Son of Sam,” said Black. “New York adopted a statute that precluded him from making any money.”
Son of Sam is an infamous 1970s New York City serial killer who killed six people and wounded several others.
One Lifetime Network movie, called “Dirty Little Secret,” is already in the works about the Arias trial.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night