PHOENIX — If Jodi Arias is convicted of murder in her trial for the killing of Travis Alexander, she will never see a dime off of book or movie deals.
Valley defense attorney Mike Black said Arizona has a statute which bans convicted felons from making any money.
“There can be a contract, but it must specifically state that the proceeds will go directly to the Arizona Industrial Commission.”
The victims then have five years to make a claim with the Industrial Commission for any of the proceeds.
“This goes all the way back to the David Berkowitz case, the Son of Sam,” said Black. “New York adopted a statute that precluded him from making any money.”
Son of Sam is an infamous 1970s New York City serial killer who killed six people and wounded several others.
One Lifetime Network movie, called “Dirty Little Secret,” is already in the works about the Arias trial.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon