MESA, Ariz. — Besides weaving through the traffic barriers and orange cones along Main Street, there aren’t many signs that construction on light rail has picked up in downtown Mesa.
That’s because most of the work, starting this week through summer, will be taking place underground.
“The critical part of a light part of a light rail project is working underground and getting the underground utilities managed,” said Susan Tierney, Valley Metro communications manager.
“That means relocated, sometimes replacing them and upgrading them.”
The construction has forced some traffic restrictions on Main Street, from Alma School Road to Mesa Drive.
“Currently though downtown Mesa we have narrowed travel to one lane in each direction,” Tierney said. “Midway through the summer we’re going to be shifting traffic from the south side of Main Street to the north side.”
While that has some business in the area concerned about a drop in sales, Valley Metro assures that the construction will not limit access to downtown stores.
In addition, construction will be suspended after Sept. 30th, when more tourists visit and the holiday shopping season ramps up.
The project linking downtown Mesa to the rest of the 20-mile light-rail track is expected to be completed in early 2016.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick