PHOENIX — On the fourth day of juror deliberation, Jodi Arias was found guilty of first-degree murder of her former boyfriend Travis Alexander.
Arias could be sentenced to life in prison or be sentenced to death. She has already been in prison for five years.
Arias claimed she killed Alexander in self-defense. Jurors had the option of convicting Arias of second-degree murder, which would have carried a lesser sentence between 10 and 22 years.
Instead, jurors concurred with the prosecutors’ belief that she planned the murder after finding out Alexander wanted to end their affair.
Arias changed her stories several times throughout the investigation and trial. Initially, she denied involvement before changing her story two years later, saying she killed Alexander because he attacked her after sex.
Alexander was stabbed 27 times, shot in the head and his throat had been slit.
The verdict comes after a four-month trial that garnered international attention.
The penalty phase of the trial is scheduled to begin on Thursday.
Arias was placed on suicide protocol after leaving the courthouse, per Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
No sentencing date has been set.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food