PHOENIX — On the fourth day of juror deliberation, Jodi Arias was found guilty of first-degree murder of her former boyfriend Travis Alexander.
Arias could be sentenced to life in prison or be sentenced to death. She has already been in prison for five years.
Arias claimed she killed Alexander in self-defense. Jurors had the option of convicting Arias of second-degree murder, which would have carried a lesser sentence between 10 and 22 years.
Instead, jurors concurred with the prosecutors’ belief that she planned the murder after finding out Alexander wanted to end their affair.
Arias changed her stories several times throughout the investigation and trial. Initially, she denied involvement before changing her story two years later, saying she killed Alexander because he attacked her after sex.
Alexander was stabbed 27 times, shot in the head and his throat had been slit.
The verdict comes after a four-month trial that garnered international attention.
The penalty phase of the trial is scheduled to begin on Thursday.
Arias was placed on suicide protocol after leaving the courthouse, per Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
No sentencing date has been set.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier