PHOENIX — Valley psychologists say people in the United States and other countries are using the Jodi Arias trial as a diversion from their daily lives.
People all over the country are fixated on the trial.
“It could feed into our arousal level,” said psychologist Sanford Silverman. “We’re getting kind of like an adrenaline rush from the excitement of all of it.”
Psychologist Neil Stafford agrees that for many, the trial is an escape from their personal reality.
“A lot of our lives are pretty routine, and here’s something sensational that’s happened,” said Stafford. “Definitely when it’s about violent crime or sex, it’s exciting to watch, initially.”
Some people have come from other areas of the country and even as far away as Australia to try to get a seat in the courtroom to see the trial in person. Millions of others have been watching on television.
Silverman thinks we may see more of that behavior in future trials.
“We have more access to information,” Silverman said. “We do overreact to things. With all of the different channels of information, we get the cognitive overload. It just stirs us up.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food