PHOENIX — Arizona’s wildfire season could pose a major threat to homes and now is the time to update homeowner’s insurance.
Nicole Farr with the Arizona Insurance Council said homeowners need to be sure their policy covers the current costs of rebuilding their home because the costs of lumber, concrete, steel and copper have risen significantly from the time the home was built.
“Any type of remodeling you’ve done, make sure your agent is aware of that,” Farr said.
And the policy needs to cover living expenses if the family has to be evacuated and/or the home is destroyed.
“Most policies cover this, but double check that hotel bills and meals will be covered along with transportation costs.”
Farr said wildfires have destroyed nearly $1 billion in property in Arizona since 2002. Since that time the five biggest fires in recorded state history have occurred.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes