PHOENIX — Arizona’s wildfire season could pose a major threat to homes and now is the time to update homeowner’s insurance.
Nicole Farr with the Arizona Insurance Council said homeowners need to be sure their policy covers the current costs of rebuilding their home because the costs of lumber, concrete, steel and copper have risen significantly from the time the home was built.
“Any type of remodeling you’ve done, make sure your agent is aware of that,” Farr said.
And the policy needs to cover living expenses if the family has to be evacuated and/or the home is destroyed.
“Most policies cover this, but double check that hotel bills and meals will be covered along with transportation costs.”
Farr said wildfires have destroyed nearly $1 billion in property in Arizona since 2002. Since that time the five biggest fires in recorded state history have occurred.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon