PHOENIX — Arizona’s wildfire season could pose a major threat to homes and now is the time to update homeowner’s insurance.
Nicole Farr with the Arizona Insurance Council said homeowners need to be sure their policy covers the current costs of rebuilding their home because the costs of lumber, concrete, steel and copper have risen significantly from the time the home was built.
“Any type of remodeling you’ve done, make sure your agent is aware of that,” Farr said.
And the policy needs to cover living expenses if the family has to be evacuated and/or the home is destroyed.
“Most policies cover this, but double check that hotel bills and meals will be covered along with transportation costs.”
Farr said wildfires have destroyed nearly $1 billion in property in Arizona since 2002. Since that time the five biggest fires in recorded state history have occurred.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier