PHOENIX — Winds and dry conditions combined to put the Valley under a haze Friday morning.
Strong wind gusts of 25-30 mph are lifting dirt off the desert floor and that could continue for several hours.
“It’s pretty much draped over the Phoenix metropolitan area and the southeast Valley,” said Valerie Meyers, a spokewoman for the National Weather Service.
“(But) It’s not a wall of dust that we would see with outflows from thunderstorms.”
Meyers said beyond the dust, the winds have also ramped up fire danger for the second straight day. The warm, dry weather during the past several weeks has provided fuel for fires.
Wind speeds will begin to decrease substantially by the middle of Friday afternoon although dry conditions will persist. Humidity in the Valley has dropped to single digits.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.