PHOENIX — Winds and dry conditions combined to put the Valley under a haze Friday morning.
Strong wind gusts of 25-30 mph are lifting dirt off the desert floor and that could continue for several hours.
“It’s pretty much draped over the Phoenix metropolitan area and the southeast Valley,” said Valerie Meyers, a spokewoman for the National Weather Service.
“(But) It’s not a wall of dust that we would see with outflows from thunderstorms.”
Meyers said beyond the dust, the winds have also ramped up fire danger for the second straight day. The warm, dry weather during the past several weeks has provided fuel for fires.
Wind speeds will begin to decrease substantially by the middle of Friday afternoon although dry conditions will persist. Humidity in the Valley has dropped to single digits.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick