PHOENIX — Winds and dry conditions combined to put the Valley under a haze Friday morning.
Strong wind gusts of 25-30 mph are lifting dirt off the desert floor and that could continue for several hours.
“It’s pretty much draped over the Phoenix metropolitan area and the southeast Valley,” said Valerie Meyers, a spokewoman for the National Weather Service.
“(But) It’s not a wall of dust that we would see with outflows from thunderstorms.”
Meyers said beyond the dust, the winds have also ramped up fire danger for the second straight day. The warm, dry weather during the past several weeks has provided fuel for fires.
Wind speeds will begin to decrease substantially by the middle of Friday afternoon although dry conditions will persist. Humidity in the Valley has dropped to single digits.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development