PHOENIX — They’re one of the main tools used on wildfires but right now United States Air Force planes are parked at bases, essentially in retirement.
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said it’s time to get those planes in the air again because Southern California is burning and Arizona may not be far behind.
“There’s no doubt that we are at great risk. This is probably one of the earliest starts to a fire season we’ve seen,” McCain said. “All of us should be concerned. We have been in a long-term drought.”
McCain said the transfer of military aircraft to agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service was part of last year’s defense bill.
“These military aircraft need to be transferred in a timely fashion to make sure the Forest Service is never short. They are the first line of defense on wildfires.”
One likely place the military air tankers would be stationed is Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food