PHOENIX — They’re one of the main tools used on wildfires but right now United States Air Force planes are parked at bases, essentially in retirement.
Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said it’s time to get those planes in the air again because Southern California is burning and Arizona may not be far behind.
“There’s no doubt that we are at great risk. This is probably one of the earliest starts to a fire season we’ve seen,” McCain said. “All of us should be concerned. We have been in a long-term drought.”
McCain said the transfer of military aircraft to agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service was part of last year’s defense bill.
“These military aircraft need to be transferred in a timely fashion to make sure the Forest Service is never short. They are the first line of defense on wildfires.”
One likely place the military air tankers would be stationed is Phoenix Mesa Gateway Airport.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.