It hasn’t been easy, but finances are bouncing back in the City of Surprise after a 2012 audit found a big mess in the city’s accounts.
The audit revealed that $73 million was displaced over a decade in which the city was expanding rapidly.
“That left our general fund with less than $1 million in its reserve balance, or our ‘rainy day’ fund,” said Surprise City Manager Chris Hillman.
In order to build the city’s reserve fund back up, Hillman said the city had to make some sacrifices.
“We had to lay off 19 people, but we cut a total of 33 positions,” he said. “We downgraded another 19 management positions and we also cut another $1.5 million in cutting our materials and supplies expenses.”
Hillman said Surprise is anticipating to have a fully-restored rainy day fund by late June and expects to have a surplus next year. Despite that, the city doesn’t plan on making anymore spending mistakes.
“Our simple mantra is: We’re not going to spend money we don’t know we have yet,” he said. “Our projections are looking positive and we want to continue on our conservative approach just to help ensure that the city’s financial security has been able to be achieved.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America