PHOENIX — The warmer weather could make things tough on the Valley’s homeless.
The Phoenix Rescue Mission said that data from the Maricopa Association of Governments shows 13,248 men, women and children are homeless in Maricopa County. Arizona ranks as the fourth-worst state in the nation for homelessness.
The mission began its “Code Red: Summer Heat Relief Campaign” this week. The event sends trucks all over the Valley to give items to the homeless.
“What I do is take water out, food, and hygiene kits,” said Chaplain Clifford Danley, who is one of the drivers. “Then I engage them in a conversation about what the Phoenix Rescue Mission does. It’s not uncommon to bring people back and get them to the shelter and get them out of the heat and give them a hot meal and a bed.”
Danley said he gives goods out all over the Valley.
“I’ve gone to parks out in Glendale. I’ve traveled canals. I’ve gone into underpasses,” he Danley. “I have a lot of places where I know the folks are, where they tend to have their little campsites and that type of thing. I’ve even gone into alleys. I know where the alleys are.”
Danley knows from experience. He was homeless and addicted to drugs when someone brought him to the Phoenix Rescue Mission in 2005. He said that changed his life forever.
The Phoenix Rescue Mission said it needs, in addition to water, volunteers and donations of toiletrees, socks and other items to help the homeless battle the heat. Those who want more information should call (602) 346-3342.
Items can also be dropped off at the following locations:
All Starbucks locations in Chandler, Tempe and Gilbert
Fire Station 151: 6851 N. 52nd Avenue, Glendale
Fire Station 152: 6850 W. Bethany Home, Glendale
Fire Station 153: 14061 N. 59th Ave., Glendale
Fire Station 154: 4439 W. Peoria Ave., Glendale
Fire Station 155: 6255 W. Union Hills, Glendale
Fire Station 156: 6801 W. Deer Valley Rd., Glendale
Fire Station 157: 9658 N. 59th Ave., Glendale
Fire Station 158: 6261 N. 83rd Ave., Glendale
Fire Station 159: 17159 N. 63rd Ave., Glendale
Lerner & Row: 2701 E. Camelback Road, Suite 140, Phoenix
Lerner & Row: 535 E. McKellips Road, Building 2, Suite 105, Mesa
Lerner & Row: 5525 W. Glendale, Suite 201, Glendale
Lerner & Row: 7200 W. Bell Road, Suite D-2, Glendale
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food