PHOENIX — For the first time on Wednesday, Maricopa County Sheriff’s Deputy Ruben Garcia met the two police officers who saved his life after he was shot on Jan. 8 in the line of duty.
Garcia and Peoria Police Officers Ryan Bakke and Pat Shearer teared up as Garcia called them his heroes.
“I’m honored and grateful to meet these officers that helped me out.”
Shearer said Garcia is the true hero and a man he never thought he would see again after the shooting at Deer Valley Road and 83rd Avenue.
“When I left there, after the fire department took over, and this is hard to say, there was no doubt in my mind that he wouldn’t be here today. There’s more hands in it than ours.”
Garcia’s wife, Georgina, was very emotional about remembering the night she almost lost her husband.
“With everything coming back, the emotions welling up, they creep back up on you. But it’s the most beautiful sight to see him with the two men who saved his life.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon