PHOENIX — The Arizona Humane Society is pushing pet owners to get their animal’s shots updated before the Valley heads into summer.
In 2012, AHS saw a rise in the number of animals being diagnosed with distemper and Parvo.
“Last year was kind of a banner year,” said Dr. Kathleen Croteau, a Humane Society veterinarian. “More so in distemper than in the Parvo. We did see kind of a record year with this distemper virus coming around and affecting dogs of all ages.”
Croteau said the virus seems to start up at this time of year, when Arizona is transitioning from cooler to warmer temperatures. The viruses will have less of an impact on animals if the Valley heats up sooner. She said the fact that it’s now May, and the first cases of the virus are just showing up, is a “good sign.”
The viruses usually show up first in puppies, but Croteau said owners need to make sure their dog has its shots no matter what its age is.
“It’s very important for these animals to go through a series of vaccines, usually starting about six weeks of age and continuing until they’re about five months of age,” she said. “If it’s an adult dog that hasn’t received their vaccine yet, we always recommend that they get theirs first, followed up by a booster three or four weeks later.”
The Arizona Humane Society has vaccination clinics every Friday. Locations, times and more information is available on the organization’s website or by calling 602-997-7585.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon