The failure of an online gaming community has left one of its investors, who was also an employee, with 56 cents and diluted stock.
According to Gawker’s Valley Wag, Meez.com users were encouraged to customize a cartoon 3D avatar and purchase virtual goods by dollars.
It might’ve been cutesy and derivative, but according to the company, it was also profitable — a rarity even for the best ideas. Meez was greeted by write-ups in the San Francisco Chronicle, Forbes, and Time—although the latter named it one of the “five worst websites” of 2007. From that point on, it was clear a pixellated tween dollhouse wasn’t going to be a longterm moneymaker, and the site’s brief popularity diminished. So did its bank accounts.
The San Francisco-based Meez was $16 million in arrears, with no way of paying it off. So it recapitalized, diluted stock in the company 8,000,000 to 1, and cashed everyone right out of the company, hence 56 cents for one guy.
By the way, basic Muni bus fare for an adult is $2.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments