A Valley woman has paid over $5,000 for the bagpipes that were used for the soundtrack of “Brave.”
The bagpipes were sold to benefit the cancer charity Maggie’s.
According to Herald Scotland, the pipes were auctioned off by Willie Armstrong of the Red Hot Chilli Pipers. As soon as Debra Guarriello saw them she had to have them.
Guarriello, who lives in Scottsdale, already owns and plays a set of silver engraved bagpipes but with her family history of cancer and the history behind the pipes, she said it was too good to pass up.
“My Mother is a cancer survivor of more than 40 years, my husband Ray for more than 30 years and my sister has been battling back from stage four cancer for four years.”
Armstrong decided to auction his pipes to raise funds for Maggie’s after he learned of the work the charity does for people with cancer.
“My daughter Kari, who is a huge fan of the movie Brave, encouraged me to up the bid so we could have a part of the movie in our home. I was ecstatic when I received notification that I was the highest bidder. I am so excited to be able to play an instrument with such a glorious history and know that I have helped a lot of people.”
Guarriello and her daughter play for the Mesa Caledonian Pipe Band.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon