PHOENIX — Over the next three Saturdays, Phoenix will be hosting the largest gun buyback program in the city’s history.
On Monday, Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law that keeps cities from destroying guns collected during buy-backs but that law doesn’t take effect until 90 days after the current legislative session ends. Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said guns turned over in the Phoenix events will be melted down.
“We will check the guns to see if they’ve been stolen or used in the crime and then destroy them within this 90-day period.”
Martos said the city initially intended to offer gift cards for people turning in high-capacity magazines but that has been scrapped to allow the bulk of the gift cards to be used on firearms.
“We would prefer that people bringing in the firearms have them in the glovebox or trunk or bed of a pickup and unloaded. We don’t want people approaching these events with guns in their hands.”
Martos said the weapons will be accepted in a drive-through manner.
The buy-backs will take place at the following locations:
Southminster Presbyterian Church, 1923 E. Broadway Rd.
Betania Presbyterian Church, 2811 N. 39th Ave.
Sunnyslope Mennonite Church, 9835 N. Seventh St.
The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or until the city runs out of gift cards.
The city is giving away $100 gift cards to AJ’s, Basha’s or Food City for handguns and shotguns and $200 for semi-automatic assault rifles.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this story.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food