PHOENIX — Over the next three Saturdays, Phoenix will be hosting the largest gun buyback program in the city’s history.
On Monday, Gov. Jan Brewer signed a law that keeps cities from destroying guns collected during buy-backs but that law doesn’t take effect until 90 days after the current legislative session ends. Phoenix Police Sgt. Steve Martos said guns turned over in the Phoenix events will be melted down.
“We will check the guns to see if they’ve been stolen or used in the crime and then destroy them within this 90-day period.”
Martos said the city initially intended to offer gift cards for people turning in high-capacity magazines but that has been scrapped to allow the bulk of the gift cards to be used on firearms.
“We would prefer that people bringing in the firearms have them in the glovebox or trunk or bed of a pickup and unloaded. We don’t want people approaching these events with guns in their hands.”
Martos said the weapons will be accepted in a drive-through manner.
The buy-backs will take place at the following locations:
Southminster Presbyterian Church, 1923 E. Broadway Rd.
Betania Presbyterian Church, 2811 N. 39th Ave.
Sunnyslope Mennonite Church, 9835 N. Seventh St.
The event will run from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. or until the city runs out of gift cards.
The city is giving away $100 gift cards to AJ’s, Basha’s or Food City for handguns and shotguns and $200 for semi-automatic assault rifles.
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this story.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America