PHOENIX — Arizona will be hosting a basketball tournament for the best high school teams in the U.S.
The first annual Hoophall West basketball tournament will be in Phoenix on Dec. 13 and Dec. 14. The competition will be sponsored by Grand Canyon University and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame President and CEO, John Doleva, said the event will be patterned after an eastern tournament held at Springfield College in Massachusetts.
“For the past 13 years, working with their sports management and sports marketing groups, we have run a major national high school event that gets major top ten teams,” Doleva said.
Vice President Paul Lambert said eight Arizona schools will participate. Those schools have yet to be named. He added that five schools have already scheduled to attend including Virginia’s Oak Hill Academy, Nevada’s Bishop Gorman, Texas’ Yates High School as well as California’s Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran.
Doleva explained that GCU students associated with the Colangelo School of Sports Business will help set up the tournament.
“Students in the school of sports business will be able to participate and get hands-on experience,” Doleva said. “[Their experience will be] all the way from event planning to execution to the day after, when we recap on whether the event was successful or not.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food