PHOENIX — Arizona will be hosting a basketball tournament for the best high school teams in the U.S.
The first annual Hoophall West basketball tournament will be in Phoenix on Dec. 13 and Dec. 14. The competition will be sponsored by Grand Canyon University and the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.
The Hall of Fame President and CEO, John Doleva, said the event will be patterned after an eastern tournament held at Springfield College in Massachusetts.
“For the past 13 years, working with their sports management and sports marketing groups, we have run a major national high school event that gets major top ten teams,” Doleva said.
Vice President Paul Lambert said eight Arizona schools will participate. Those schools have yet to be named. He added that five schools have already scheduled to attend including Virginia’s Oak Hill Academy, Nevada’s Bishop Gorman, Texas’ Yates High School as well as California’s Mater Dei and Orange Lutheran.
Doleva explained that GCU students associated with the Colangelo School of Sports Business will help set up the tournament.
“Students in the school of sports business will be able to participate and get hands-on experience,” Doleva said. “[Their experience will be] all the way from event planning to execution to the day after, when we recap on whether the event was successful or not.”
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night