PHOENIX — A large fire at a Phoenix recycling plant closed the US 60 on Tuesday.
The highway is closed between 20th Avenue and Monte Vista. Fire equipment is blocking the roadway.
There was no timetable for the highway to reopen.
Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire Department said the fire was still smoldering after tens of thousands of gallons of water were used while controlling the fire near Grand Avenue and 21st Avenue.
The fire department sent dozens of units with nearly 100 firefighters to fight
the blaze burning paper and cardboard in an outdoor storage area of a business.
Television reports showed crews using hoses and water cannons to tame the
flames, turning the black smoking into gray. About a half-later, the smoke was
hardly visible from a mile away.
Mure said one firefighter sustained a minor knee injury. No other injuries were reported.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development