PHOENIX — A large fire at a Phoenix recycling plant closed the US 60 on Tuesday.
The highway is closed between 20th Avenue and Monte Vista. Fire equipment is blocking the roadway.
There was no timetable for the highway to reopen.
Tony Mure with the Phoenix Fire Department said the fire was still smoldering after tens of thousands of gallons of water were used while controlling the fire near Grand Avenue and 21st Avenue.
The fire department sent dozens of units with nearly 100 firefighters to fight
the blaze burning paper and cardboard in an outdoor storage area of a business.
Television reports showed crews using hoses and water cannons to tame the
flames, turning the black smoking into gray. About a half-later, the smoke was
hardly visible from a mile away.
Mure said one firefighter sustained a minor knee injury. No other injuries were reported.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer and the Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier