PHOENIX — A new Rocky Mountain Poll showed just how divided Arizonans are on gun laws, but more are in favor of stricter measures on sales than not.
Behavior Research Center spoke with 700 Arizonans and found the 49 percent believe it is more important to protect gun ownership rights, including semi-automatic rifles while 38 percent want tougher controls on gun ownership and 13 percent are unsure.
An even closer split is on whether the sale of guns should be subject to stricter laws — 42 percent said yes, 38 percent said the laws are fine as is and 16 percent said the laws should be less strict.
The poll also found that 37 percent of Arizonans own ‘operational’ guns but a surprising 13 percent are not sure whether there is an operational gun in their home. The most parity was found among gun owners — 37 percent of liberals, 38 percent who identified themselves as moderates and 39 percent of conservatives said they kept firearms at home.
The poll also suggested it may be a myth that people who live in rural areas are the most likely to have guns in their homes.
Gun ownership in the home totals only 38 percent in Arizona’s rural counties. Ownership is highest in Maricopa County at 40 percent and falls off to 28 percent in Pima County.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night