PHOENIX — A new Rocky Mountain Poll showed just how divided Arizonans are on gun laws, but more are in favor of stricter measures on sales than not.
Behavior Research Center spoke with 700 Arizonans and found the 49 percent believe it is more important to protect gun ownership rights, including semi-automatic rifles while 38 percent want tougher controls on gun ownership and 13 percent are unsure.
An even closer split is on whether the sale of guns should be subject to stricter laws — 42 percent said yes, 38 percent said the laws are fine as is and 16 percent said the laws should be less strict.
The poll also found that 37 percent of Arizonans own ‘operational’ guns but a surprising 13 percent are not sure whether there is an operational gun in their home. The most parity was found among gun owners — 37 percent of liberals, 38 percent who identified themselves as moderates and 39 percent of conservatives said they kept firearms at home.
The poll also suggested it may be a myth that people who live in rural areas are the most likely to have guns in their homes.
Gun ownership in the home totals only 38 percent in Arizona’s rural counties. Ownership is highest in Maricopa County at 40 percent and falls off to 28 percent in Pima County.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food