PHOENIX — A new Rocky Mountain Poll showed just how divided Arizonans are on gun laws, but more are in favor of stricter measures on sales than not.
Behavior Research Center spoke with 700 Arizonans and found the 49 percent believe it is more important to protect gun ownership rights, including semi-automatic rifles while 38 percent want tougher controls on gun ownership and 13 percent are unsure.
An even closer split is on whether the sale of guns should be subject to stricter laws — 42 percent said yes, 38 percent said the laws are fine as is and 16 percent said the laws should be less strict.
The poll also found that 37 percent of Arizonans own ‘operational’ guns but a surprising 13 percent are not sure whether there is an operational gun in their home. The most parity was found among gun owners — 37 percent of liberals, 38 percent who identified themselves as moderates and 39 percent of conservatives said they kept firearms at home.
The poll also suggested it may be a myth that people who live in rural areas are the most likely to have guns in their homes.
Gun ownership in the home totals only 38 percent in Arizona’s rural counties. Ownership is highest in Maricopa County at 40 percent and falls off to 28 percent in Pima County.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development