CHANDLER, Ariz. — The East Valley could soon see more chickens not on store shelves, but in backyards.
On Wednesday, the Chandler’s Planning and Zoning Commission will hold a public hearing to gather in put on whether residents should be allowed to keep chickens.
Several Valley cities already allow a certain number of hens, but not roosters, on single-family properties. In her Phoenix backyard, Simona Wong has four hens providing fresh eggs for her family.
“When they’re in production, we get two to three eggs every day or every other day.”
Wong said caring for the chickens isn’t difficult. In fact, she said the hens are less work than her dogs, but the summer heat can be challenging so she makes sure the coop is shaded by trees and turns on a mister system.
“You know where your source comes from and what you give your chickens and what you feed them is really important,” she said. “If it’s important to your family, you do this.”
Wong said they checked with their neighbors before getting the chickens and haven’t had a single noise complaint.
“You can in the morning hear them when they’re laying. They cackle a lot. It’s kind of like a dog barking, it’s not really loud at all.”
The Chandler City Council will make the final decision on chickens in residential areas. It’s scheduled for a vote on May 23.
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again