CHANDLER, Ariz. — The East Valley could soon see more chickens not on store shelves, but in backyards.
On Wednesday, the Chandler’s Planning and Zoning Commission will hold a public hearing to gather in put on whether residents should be allowed to keep chickens.
Several Valley cities already allow a certain number of hens, but not roosters, on single-family properties. In her Phoenix backyard, Simona Wong has four hens providing fresh eggs for her family.
“When they’re in production, we get two to three eggs every day or every other day.”
Wong said caring for the chickens isn’t difficult. In fact, she said the hens are less work than her dogs, but the summer heat can be challenging so she makes sure the coop is shaded by trees and turns on a mister system.
“You know where your source comes from and what you give your chickens and what you feed them is really important,” she said. “If it’s important to your family, you do this.”
Wong said they checked with their neighbors before getting the chickens and haven’t had a single noise complaint.
“You can in the morning hear them when they’re laying. They cackle a lot. It’s kind of like a dog barking, it’s not really loud at all.”
The Chandler City Council will make the final decision on chickens in residential areas. It’s scheduled for a vote on May 23.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck