PHOENIX — Two Indiana-based schools are planning to open campuses in the West Valley.
Trine and Huntington universities will open next year in Peoria. Trine plans to start offering 12 undergraduate and three graduate degrees starting in January. Huntington said it will open in 2014 but is awaiting approval of the Peoria City Council.
Peoria City spokesman Bo Larsen said the council could vote next month.
Huntington issued a press release that described the school as a Christian liberal-arts college that offers “graduate and undergraduate degree programs in more than 70 academic concentrations.”
Trine is set to hold classes in an office park at Thunderbird Road and 83rd Avenue.
Several universities have started offering classes in Mesa over the past few years, but Larsen insisted that Peoria isn’t trying to “keep up with the Joneses.”
He said when schools open anywhere in the Valley, it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
“We were already going the same direction ourselves,” said Larsen. “We’ve been in negotiations with the universities for a long time, but we’ve been very selective in making sure that the schools that do come to Peoria kind of meet where our goals are going.”
Larsen said those goals include bringing “high-end, higher-paying jobs” to the city.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas