PHOENIX — Two Indiana-based schools are planning to open campuses in the West Valley.
Trine and Huntington universities will open next year in Peoria. Trine plans to start offering 12 undergraduate and three graduate degrees starting in January. Huntington said it will open in 2014 but is awaiting approval of the Peoria City Council.
Peoria City spokesman Bo Larsen said the council could vote next month.
Huntington issued a press release that described the school as a Christian liberal-arts college that offers “graduate and undergraduate degree programs in more than 70 academic concentrations.”
Trine is set to hold classes in an office park at Thunderbird Road and 83rd Avenue.
Several universities have started offering classes in Mesa over the past few years, but Larsen insisted that Peoria isn’t trying to “keep up with the Joneses.”
He said when schools open anywhere in the Valley, it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
“We were already going the same direction ourselves,” said Larsen. “We’ve been in negotiations with the universities for a long time, but we’ve been very selective in making sure that the schools that do come to Peoria kind of meet where our goals are going.”
Larsen said those goals include bringing “high-end, higher-paying jobs” to the city.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development