PHOENIX — Many businesses along Central Avenue in Phoenix became casualties of the initial light-rail construction a few years ago.
Now, several mom-and-pop shops along the light-rail extension construction corridor on 19th Avenue from Bethany Home Road to Dunlap Avenue are concerned the same thing could happen to them.
Diana Veronda owns Lady Diana’s, a tiny bakery on the corner of 19th and Northern avenues, one of three major intersections being heavily impacted by light-rail work.
Construction has left such a mess near her store that only her most loyal customers try to get into the store.
“We’ve had customers say they don’t want to come through this area,” Veronda said.
She’s been in that spot for two years and is trying to hold on after losing a lot of business during the past three months, down about 80 percent.
One recent Saturday she took in less than $20 in donuts. She said usually she pulls in almost $500.
“I have to do discounts to get people in here, so on top of not having the revenue, i have to do the discounts.”
The light-rail extension won’t be completed for at least two more years.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night