PHOENIX — Many businesses along Central Avenue in Phoenix became casualties of the initial light-rail construction a few years ago.
Now, several mom-and-pop shops along the light-rail extension construction corridor on 19th Avenue from Bethany Home Road to Dunlap Avenue are concerned the same thing could happen to them.
Diana Veronda owns Lady Diana’s, a tiny bakery on the corner of 19th and Northern avenues, one of three major intersections being heavily impacted by light-rail work.
Construction has left such a mess near her store that only her most loyal customers try to get into the store.
“We’ve had customers say they don’t want to come through this area,” Veronda said.
She’s been in that spot for two years and is trying to hold on after losing a lot of business during the past three months, down about 80 percent.
One recent Saturday she took in less than $20 in donuts. She said usually she pulls in almost $500.
“I have to do discounts to get people in here, so on top of not having the revenue, i have to do the discounts.”
The light-rail extension won’t be completed for at least two more years.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development