PHOENIX — Many businesses along Central Avenue in Phoenix became casualties of the initial light-rail construction a few years ago.
Now, several mom-and-pop shops along the light-rail extension construction corridor on 19th Avenue from Bethany Home Road to Dunlap Avenue are concerned the same thing could happen to them.
Diana Veronda owns Lady Diana’s, a tiny bakery on the corner of 19th and Northern avenues, one of three major intersections being heavily impacted by light-rail work.
Construction has left such a mess near her store that only her most loyal customers try to get into the store.
“We’ve had customers say they don’t want to come through this area,” Veronda said.
She’s been in that spot for two years and is trying to hold on after losing a lot of business during the past three months, down about 80 percent.
One recent Saturday she took in less than $20 in donuts. She said usually she pulls in almost $500.
“I have to do discounts to get people in here, so on top of not having the revenue, i have to do the discounts.”
The light-rail extension won’t be completed for at least two more years.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America