PHOENIX — Many businesses along Central Avenue in Phoenix became casualties of the initial light-rail construction a few years ago.
Now, several mom-and-pop shops along the light-rail extension construction corridor on 19th Avenue from Bethany Home Road to Dunlap Avenue are concerned the same thing could happen to them.
Diana Veronda owns Lady Diana’s, a tiny bakery on the corner of 19th and Northern avenues, one of three major intersections being heavily impacted by light-rail work.
Construction has left such a mess near her store that only her most loyal customers try to get into the store.
“We’ve had customers say they don’t want to come through this area,” Veronda said.
She’s been in that spot for two years and is trying to hold on after losing a lot of business during the past three months, down about 80 percent.
One recent Saturday she took in less than $20 in donuts. She said usually she pulls in almost $500.
“I have to do discounts to get people in here, so on top of not having the revenue, i have to do the discounts.”
The light-rail extension won’t be completed for at least two more years.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food