PHOENIX — A search has begun for two missing hikers in the Superstition Mountains on Friday.
The two hikers, a male and a female, were last seen Wednesday when they departed for a hiking trip on First Water Trail.
Officer Christopher Hegstrom with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the hikers were expecting to stay in the mountains overnight and be picked up on Thursday evening.
“When their ride did not make it [Thursday] night, the next morning the ride showed up and the two hikers are still missing,” said Hegstrom.
Around 6 a.m. on Friday the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office initiated a search that continued into the evening.
Hegstrom said other hikers have reported seeing the missing hikers.
“We have heard reports from other hikers that have come off of the mountain that said, ‘Yeah we saw them, they’re up there and they’re fine,'” said Hegstrom.
“Those are just reports. We haven’t actually made contact with these two people.”
Hegstrom also noted that it is believed the hikers came prepared for their trip and have enough food and water.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development