PHOENIX — A search has begun for two missing hikers in the Superstition Mountains on Friday.
The two hikers, a male and a female, were last seen Wednesday when they departed for a hiking trip on First Water Trail.
Officer Christopher Hegstrom with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the hikers were expecting to stay in the mountains overnight and be picked up on Thursday evening.
“When their ride did not make it [Thursday] night, the next morning the ride showed up and the two hikers are still missing,” said Hegstrom.
Around 6 a.m. on Friday the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office initiated a search that continued into the evening.
Hegstrom said other hikers have reported seeing the missing hikers.
“We have heard reports from other hikers that have come off of the mountain that said, ‘Yeah we saw them, they’re up there and they’re fine,'” said Hegstrom.
“Those are just reports. We haven’t actually made contact with these two people.”
Hegstrom also noted that it is believed the hikers came prepared for their trip and have enough food and water.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night