PHOENIX — A search has begun for two missing hikers in the Superstition Mountains on Friday.
The two hikers, a male and a female, were last seen Wednesday when they departed for a hiking trip on First Water Trail.
Officer Christopher Hegstrom with the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the hikers were expecting to stay in the mountains overnight and be picked up on Thursday evening.
“When their ride did not make it [Thursday] night, the next morning the ride showed up and the two hikers are still missing,” said Hegstrom.
Around 6 a.m. on Friday the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office initiated a search that continued into the evening.
Hegstrom said other hikers have reported seeing the missing hikers.
“We have heard reports from other hikers that have come off of the mountain that said, ‘Yeah we saw them, they’re up there and they’re fine,'” said Hegstrom.
“Those are just reports. We haven’t actually made contact with these two people.”
Hegstrom also noted that it is believed the hikers came prepared for their trip and have enough food and water.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier