PHOENIX — Children in low-income households will now have access to educational attractions offered by the City of Phoenix.
On Friday, Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton unveiled the Phoenix Great Start Pilot Program, designed to prepare children for kindergarten by increasing early childhood development through parent engagement and community education programs.
“Over 90 percent of our students are in poverty,” said Superintendent of the Balsz Elementary School District Dr. Jeffrey Smith.
The educational opportunities that exist will now be accessible to the city’s poorest children.
“To a child, the world is only as big as their experiences,” said Smith. “This will expand the experiences of children before they come to school so they can see more in themselves and their future.”
In addition to educational materials for parents, when their child is enrolled in kindergarten in a Balsz Elementary School, the families will be given a Passport to Culture & Education. The free pass includes admission to the Phoenix Zoo, Arizona Science Center, the Pueblo Grande Museum and the Heard Museum.
“They’ll learn about Arizona, learn about Phoenix and learn about what they can be and the future they can and how unlimited that is,” said Smith.
Stanton hopes to expand the program to benefit more children in the future.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food