PHOENIX — A Valley mother was arrested Thursday on suspicion of suffocating her 6-day-old daughter.
According to court documents, police were called to a residence at 5309 E. Hearn Rd. on April 8 on a report of a baby who had ceased breathing.
The child was found on a bed with her mother, Nina Koistinen, by her father, Bradley Koistinen. The child, Maya, was taken to Paradise Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
During the autopsy, signs of suffocation were discovered. According to Child Protective Services, Nina had made references to smothering her children and wanting some of them to die in a car accident that could have been intentional.
On April 25, Nina allegedly told police and her husband that she suffocated their daughter because she felt she had too many children and was jealous of the attention the baby received.
Nina was booked on one count of first-degree murder.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development