PHOENIX — A Valley mother was arrested Thursday on suspicion of suffocating her 6-day-old daughter.
According to court documents, police were called to a residence at 5309 E. Hearn Rd. on April 8 on a report of a baby who had ceased breathing.
The child was found on a bed with her mother, Nina Koistinen, by her father, Bradley Koistinen. The child, Maya, was taken to Paradise Valley Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
During the autopsy, signs of suffocation were discovered. According to Child Protective Services, Nina had made references to smothering her children and wanting some of them to die in a car accident that could have been intentional.
On April 25, Nina allegedly told police and her husband that she suffocated their daughter because she felt she had too many children and was jealous of the attention the baby received.
Nina was booked on one count of first-degree murder.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier