MESA, Ariz. — The Mesa Historical Museum Board is inviting Joe and Jo Public to learn about Mesa’s history with a tour of the city cemetery this weekend.
Country singer Waylon Jennings’ grave is one of the first on the inaugural Mesa Cemetery tour.
Board spokesman Vic Linoff said the cemetery is the final resting place of other famous people. “Ernesto Miranda, for whom the Miranda rights decision is named, is also buried in the cemetery,” said Linoff.
“There’s also former Arizona Congressman John Rhodes, who served several years in the U.S. Congress.”
Another individual who influenced Mesa was Zedo Ishikawa, who died in the 1930s. The Mesa High School football star accidentally shot himself while trying to use the butt of a gun to break up a dog fight.
“While he was on his deathbed, with friends, students, and family around him, his last words were ‘Carry on.’ It was the advice he was trying to give to his football team,” Linoff said. “That has now become the motto for Mesa High School … ‘Carry on.’ ”
Mesa named an elementary school after him.
Volunteers will be around the cemetery to tell the stories of the people who are buried there.
The cemetery is located at 1212 N. Center St., directly across the street from Hohokam Stadium. Tickets are $15 for adults. Tours start Saturday at 8:30 a.m.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths