MESA, Ariz. — The Mesa Historical Museum Board is inviting Joe and Jo Public to learn about Mesa’s history with a tour of the city cemetery this weekend.
Country singer Waylon Jennings’ grave is one of the first on the inaugural Mesa Cemetery tour.
Board spokesman Vic Linoff said the cemetery is the final resting place of other famous people. “Ernesto Miranda, for whom the Miranda rights decision is named, is also buried in the cemetery,” said Linoff.
“There’s also former Arizona Congressman John Rhodes, who served several years in the U.S. Congress.”
Another individual who influenced Mesa was Zedo Ishikawa, who died in the 1930s. The Mesa High School football star accidentally shot himself while trying to use the butt of a gun to break up a dog fight.
“While he was on his deathbed, with friends, students, and family around him, his last words were ‘Carry on.’ It was the advice he was trying to give to his football team,” Linoff said. “That has now become the motto for Mesa High School … ‘Carry on.’ ”
Mesa named an elementary school after him.
Volunteers will be around the cemetery to tell the stories of the people who are buried there.
The cemetery is located at 1212 N. Center St., directly across the street from Hohokam Stadium. Tickets are $15 for adults. Tours start Saturday at 8:30 a.m.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon