PHOENIX — As Valley residents gear up for sizzling temps this weekend, Phoenix first responders have an important reminder: Don’t forget your children in your car.
“We’ve tested vehicles and noted that, on a 93-degree day, the temperature inside of a vehicle can reach 125 degrees,” said Phoenix Firefighter Larry Nunez.
After a period of time, a small child could be in grave danger.
“Your body starts to shut down. Like light switches, your organs begin to shut down. It’s a slow death,” said Nunez.
according to data from the Department of Geosciences at San Francisco State University:
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2012: 32
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 2011: 33
Total number of U.S. heatstroke deaths of children left in cars, 1998-present: 559
Average number of U.S. child heatstroke fatalities per year since 1998: 38.
According to the same study, an examination of media reports about the 559 child vehicular heatstroke deaths for an thirteen year period (1998 through 2012) shows the following circumstances:
52 percent – child “forgotten” by caregiver (288 Children).
29 percent – child playing in unattended vehicle (163).
18 percent – child intentionally left in vehicle by adult (100).
1 percent – circumstances unknown (8)
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier