PHOENIX — A Valley dog trainer isn’t surprised that two young children from Buckeye were bitten by the family pit bull.
“Not surprised at all,” said Sandi Shore of Bad Dog To Good Dog. “Because pit bulls have a strong prey drive, there are certain behaviors I tell people should not be encouraged.”
According to information provided by Buckeye police, on Wednesday, officers responded to the 100 block of Sixth Ave. West for the report of two children who were bitten by a pit bull. The initial investigation revealed the children were playing with a family dog in their back yard when they attempted to pull a chew toy of some sort from the animal’s mouth, at which point the dog began to bite the children.
Shore maintained that it’s not about the breed, it’s about instinct.
“If I pull a chew toy out of my 22-pound Basenji, which is a hunting dog originating in Africa, she’ll bite me because this is her innate behavior,” she said.
Shore said any bully breed could benefit from some professional training.
In the meantime, if you have a dog with strong prey drive, she suggests not allowing children to play tug-of-war with the dog. She also suggested teaching your child to not grab food or toys from their mouths.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America