PHOENIX — A Valley dog trainer isn’t surprised that two young children from Buckeye were bitten by the family pit bull.
“Not surprised at all,” said Sandi Shore of Bad Dog To Good Dog. “Because pit bulls have a strong prey drive, there are certain behaviors I tell people should not be encouraged.”
According to information provided by Buckeye police, on Wednesday, officers responded to the 100 block of Sixth Ave. West for the report of two children who were bitten by a pit bull. The initial investigation revealed the children were playing with a family dog in their back yard when they attempted to pull a chew toy of some sort from the animal’s mouth, at which point the dog began to bite the children.
Shore maintained that it’s not about the breed, it’s about instinct.
“If I pull a chew toy out of my 22-pound Basenji, which is a hunting dog originating in Africa, she’ll bite me because this is her innate behavior,” she said.
Shore said any bully breed could benefit from some professional training.
In the meantime, if you have a dog with strong prey drive, she suggests not allowing children to play tug-of-war with the dog. She also suggested teaching your child to not grab food or toys from their mouths.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes