PHOENIX — The 2014 race for the next governor of Arizona will be great political theater, a Valley political strategist said.
“This is front row seat stuff. I’m looking forward to it,” said Mike O’Neil.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer isn’t ruling out a bid for what would essentially be a third term, because she believes her first two years do not count after Janet Napolitano left to become Secretary of Homeland Security.
Stan Barnes with Copperstate Consulting said he doesn’t believe Brewer can run next year.
“I don’t believe she can,” he said. “Most attorneys don’t believe she can but I wouldn’t blame her for wanting to test that theory.”
O’Neil said that, if Brewer drops her effort to run, an announcement will have to come sooner rather than later.
“I believe the GOP will tell the governor that, beyond a certain point, what it may do is inhibit the actions of other viable candidates,” he said. “People like Mesa Mayor Scott Smith or Secretary of State Ken Bennett. She can play this for another six to eight months but, by the end of the year, I think the pressure on her will intensify.”
Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman, Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, State Sen. Al Melvin have announced intentions to run on the GOP ticket. Others who are being mentioned as possible candidates are Republican Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, Republican State Treasurer Doug Ducey and Democratic House Leader Chad Campbell.
Fred DuVal was the first Democrat to officially announce a 2014 run.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development