PHOENIX — The 2014 race for the next governor of Arizona will be great political theater, a Valley political strategist said.
“This is front row seat stuff. I’m looking forward to it,” said Mike O’Neil.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer isn’t ruling out a bid for what would essentially be a third term, because she believes her first two years do not count after Janet Napolitano left to become Secretary of Homeland Security.
Stan Barnes with Copperstate Consulting said he doesn’t believe Brewer can run next year.
“I don’t believe she can,” he said. “Most attorneys don’t believe she can but I wouldn’t blame her for wanting to test that theory.”
O’Neil said that, if Brewer drops her effort to run, an announcement will have to come sooner rather than later.
“I believe the GOP will tell the governor that, beyond a certain point, what it may do is inhibit the actions of other viable candidates,” he said. “People like Mesa Mayor Scott Smith or Secretary of State Ken Bennett. She can play this for another six to eight months but, by the end of the year, I think the pressure on her will intensify.”
Former Tempe Mayor Hugh Hallman, Arizona Secretary of State Ken Bennett, State Sen. Al Melvin have announced intentions to run on the GOP ticket. Others who are being mentioned as possible candidates are Republican Mesa Mayor Scott Smith, Republican State Treasurer Doug Ducey and Democratic House Leader Chad Campbell.
Fred DuVal was the first Democrat to officially announce a 2014 run.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns