The United States is in a now or never scenario when it comes to passing immigration reform, Sen. John McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday.
“If it doesn’t [pass], it’ll be many years before it comes up again,” he said.
McCain said that, despite opponents of the bill requesting it be moved through other committees, he is optimistic it will be passed this summer.
“I think that it’s a good chance to see it passed by the Senate by June — and maybe earlier than that — but opponents of the bill say they don’t want to rush it and I agree with that.”
If McCain’s bill passes, immigration costs will be paid for by the applicants rather than taxpayers.
“This will be paid for by fees and not by taxpayers’ dollars.”
Immigrants who are allowed to apply for citizenship under McCain’s bill had to enter the United States prior to Dec. 31, 2011. By most estimates, about 11 million people would be eligible to apply and it would take about five years to process all the applications.
The bill would require the United States to have 90 percent effective control of the border until a green card status is granted. McCain said this control over immigration would secure America’s safety, more so than the status quo.
“Immigration reform does increase the security of our nation,” he said, adding that the faster reform is passed, the faster America becomes more secure.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident