The United States is in a now or never scenario when it comes to passing immigration reform, Sen. John McCain told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Wednesday.
“If it doesn’t [pass], it’ll be many years before it comes up again,” he said.
McCain said that, despite opponents of the bill requesting it be moved through other committees, he is optimistic it will be passed this summer.
“I think that it’s a good chance to see it passed by the Senate by June — and maybe earlier than that — but opponents of the bill say they don’t want to rush it and I agree with that.”
If McCain’s bill passes, immigration costs will be paid for by the applicants rather than taxpayers.
“This will be paid for by fees and not by taxpayers’ dollars.”
Immigrants who are allowed to apply for citizenship under McCain’s bill had to enter the United States prior to Dec. 31, 2011. By most estimates, about 11 million people would be eligible to apply and it would take about five years to process all the applications.
The bill would require the United States to have 90 percent effective control of the border until a green card status is granted. McCain said this control over immigration would secure America’s safety, more so than the status quo.
“Immigration reform does increase the security of our nation,” he said, adding that the faster reform is passed, the faster America becomes more secure.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident