PHOENIX — An effort to raise $250,000 to restore a Lowell Observatory telescope is within sight of the finishing line, the observatory said.
Lowell Observatory is within $70,000 dollars to reach the amount needed to restore a telescope that has been aimed skyward since 1896.
Kevin Schindler with the observatory said the Clark Telescope was used to map the moon for landings and scan the surface of Mars. But after 117 years on the job it needs a bit of work because it’s basically being held together with bubble gum and bailing wire.
“You had people taking care of it that were pretty…creative,” he said. “Like using 1954 Ford pickup truck tires, a frying pan as a lens cap and a bicycle chain to move gears around. It has a lot of quirky things so we want to maintain that.”
The Clark was the first large telescope in the American Southwest and has been used on almost every clear night for a century.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development