PHOENIX — When Joseph Hui heard about China-Based Suntech closing its Goodyear plant, he thought it would be a perfect location for his new solar business.
“A new kind of solar panel that is portable and mobile,” said Hui, CEO of Monarch Power in Scottsdale. “It folds up, it’s very lightweight, and low-cost.”
Hui started selling the Lotus Mobile solar panels three weeks ago. Designed to look like a flower, he makes each product by hand out of a personal lab. It takes him about a week to build one, but with an early rush of buyers, including the Arizona National Guard, Hui needs a bigger facility and more manpower.
“Right now, right here, we have a plant that Suntech has just closed, and they laid off 43 people,” Hui said. “I just went in there and looked at the plant and said, ‘It fits me perfectly.’ ”
Hui said he has about 30 percent of the funds to buy the plant. He hopes a small business loan and public donations will take care of the rest.
If the sale goes through, Hui said he’ll hire about 200 people, including some former Suntech employees who just got laid off.
“I think it would be great if we just hire these people to build panels in America with American innovation. That’s all the better.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.