PHOENIX — When Joseph Hui heard about China-Based Suntech closing its Goodyear plant, he thought it would be a perfect location for his new solar business.
“A new kind of solar panel that is portable and mobile,” said Hui, CEO of Monarch Power in Scottsdale. “It folds up, it’s very lightweight, and low-cost.”
Hui started selling the Lotus Mobile solar panels three weeks ago. Designed to look like a flower, he makes each product by hand out of a personal lab. It takes him about a week to build one, but with an early rush of buyers, including the Arizona National Guard, Hui needs a bigger facility and more manpower.
“Right now, right here, we have a plant that Suntech has just closed, and they laid off 43 people,” Hui said. “I just went in there and looked at the plant and said, ‘It fits me perfectly.’ ”
Hui said he has about 30 percent of the funds to buy the plant. He hopes a small business loan and public donations will take care of the rest.
If the sale goes through, Hui said he’ll hire about 200 people, including some former Suntech employees who just got laid off.
“I think it would be great if we just hire these people to build panels in America with American innovation. That’s all the better.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development