PHOENIX — Several Glendale City Councilmembers have all but given up hope on working out a long-term deal with the Cardinals to host training camp.
Councilman Gary Sherwood said the team wants a 1,600- spot parking structure as part of a camp deal. He estimated that would cost almost $30 million and the city simply can’t afford it.
“Eventually we’re going to have to put a garage up but we’re not budgeted for it this year. Initially, they wanted some bonding or guarantee that we could forward with that. We’re not in the position to do so nor do we need to.”
Sherwood said the city would love to have the Cards training camp but not at any cost.
“We’d get a little bit of revenue and it would help Westgate out. But it’s not going to help our lodging out during the dead part of the summer. Most of those who would come out are from the Valley and would go home at night.”
Cardinals spokesman Mark Dalton said the team is not striking a “parking structure or else” attitude, only that it wanted Glendale to honor the agreement to provide 6,000 parking spots.
“Glendale can’t provide the full number of 6,000 spaces and right now, they’re about 3,000 short. We need a long- term solution and that’s what we’re trying to do,” Dalton said.
The team’s contract with Northern Arizona University ended last year and closed out 25 years of training camp in the high country.
NAU has started booking other events and Prescott is out of the running.
Dalton said the team will continue trying to work out a deal with Glendale but has other options. He would not discuss specifics.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon