PHOENIX — A few weeks after losing her brother-in-law in the attacks on the World Trade Center, Carolyn Manning came across an article about a family that had recently arrived in Phoenix.
The family had fled Afghanistan. After receiving refugee status from the United States, they were sent to Phoenix to begin new lives. Manning discovered they had a lot in common: Big families, religion and victims of terrorism.
“The only major difference was that Carolyn wasn’t forced to flee in the middle of the night after her brother was killed,” said Megan O’Connor, executive director of the Welcome to America Project.
Refugees arrive with little more than the clothes on their backs. They are set up in an apartment, given a bed and basic eating utensils. After visiting the family from Afghanistan, Manning started collecting donations of household items, toys and school supplies. The idea grew into the Welcome to America Project.
“What we do is not about the furniture,” said O’Connor. “We want them to know that Phoenix is a welcoming place, a place where you can make connections and feel safe to practice your religion.”
Since 2011, O’Connor said they have helped more 1,200 refugee families. This year, Arizona will welcome more than 3,000 refugees, most of whom will be resettled in Phoenix and Tucson.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas