PHOENIX — A few weeks after losing her brother-in-law in the attacks on the World Trade Center, Carolyn Manning came across an article about a family that had recently arrived in Phoenix.
The family had fled Afghanistan. After receiving refugee status from the United States, they were sent to Phoenix to begin new lives. Manning discovered they had a lot in common: Big families, religion and victims of terrorism.
“The only major difference was that Carolyn wasn’t forced to flee in the middle of the night after her brother was killed,” said Megan O’Connor, executive director of the Welcome to America Project.
Refugees arrive with little more than the clothes on their backs. They are set up in an apartment, given a bed and basic eating utensils. After visiting the family from Afghanistan, Manning started collecting donations of household items, toys and school supplies. The idea grew into the Welcome to America Project.
“What we do is not about the furniture,” said O’Connor. “We want them to know that Phoenix is a welcoming place, a place where you can make connections and feel safe to practice your religion.”
Since 2011, O’Connor said they have helped more 1,200 refugee families. This year, Arizona will welcome more than 3,000 refugees, most of whom will be resettled in Phoenix and Tucson.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon