PHOENIX — Hundreds of Valley kids will be treated to a free screening of “42” next month, courtesy of the Arizona Diamondbacks and Major League Baseball.
“42” focuses on Jackie Robinson, who broke the color barrier in baseball in 1946 when he became the first black player in the league.
“He probably meant more to our sport than any player in history,” said Arizona Diamondbacks President and CEO Derrick Hall. “It’s important that we teach today’s youth what Robinson meant to the sport but to the nation as well.”
Hall said the team will treat about 500 Valley eighth to 12th graders to a private screening of the movie on Friday, May 17.
“The students will be selected through the Boys & Girls Clubs which we have reached out to. We’ve reached out to four clubs and they’re interested in participating and, if we get more kids on board, we will expand the program.”
Hall is on the Major League Baseball task force to help create more interest and opportunities for young African-Americans to become involved in the sport.
“We’ve seen the number of African-Americans playing baseball on the decline. Right now it’s about 8.5 percent of the players and that’s down from the height of 19 percent in 1986.”
Social media will play a big role when the Diamondbacks take the kids to see “42.”
“Once they’ve seen the movie we would like them to reach out via Facebook and Twitter about what Jackie Robinson means to them,” said Hall.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food