Before last week’s fertilizer plant explosion that killed at least 15 people, Trudy Thompson Rice had never been to the small town of West, Texas.
The Arizona Red Cross worker quickly learned about the close connection among the nearly 2,800 residents.
“If they didn’t lose a family member then they know someone who did. This is a Czechoslovakian community. People have been here for many years, many generations.”
Thompson Rice said nearly all the victims were members of West’s volunteer fire department, including the city manager.
More than 200 homes have been damaged or destroyed, along with a couple of schools, a nursing home and apartment complex.
She said that most residents have found temporary places to stay either with friends or family, but the Red Cross shelter is filling up with firefighters around the country.
They’re arriving for private funerals that begin Tuesday and a public memorial scheduled for Thursday.
“This is going to be a long-term recovery for this little town and a very, very emotional week,” said Thompson Rice. “But, you know what we are always seeing after every disaster and this one is no different, is that the human spirit is pretty amazing.
“People come together, they take care of one another, they grieve together, and they come up with a plan together.”
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes