Before last week’s fertilizer plant explosion that killed at least 15 people, Trudy Thompson Rice had never been to the small town of West, Texas.
The Arizona Red Cross worker quickly learned about the close connection among the nearly 2,800 residents.
“If they didn’t lose a family member then they know someone who did. This is a Czechoslovakian community. People have been here for many years, many generations.”
Thompson Rice said nearly all the victims were members of West’s volunteer fire department, including the city manager.
More than 200 homes have been damaged or destroyed, along with a couple of schools, a nursing home and apartment complex.
She said that most residents have found temporary places to stay either with friends or family, but the Red Cross shelter is filling up with firefighters around the country.
They’re arriving for private funerals that begin Tuesday and a public memorial scheduled for Thursday.
“This is going to be a long-term recovery for this little town and a very, very emotional week,” said Thompson Rice. “But, you know what we are always seeing after every disaster and this one is no different, is that the human spirit is pretty amazing.
“People come together, they take care of one another, they grieve together, and they come up with a plan together.”
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development