Before last week’s fertilizer plant explosion that killed at least 15 people, Trudy Thompson Rice had never been to the small town of West, Texas.
The Arizona Red Cross worker quickly learned about the close connection among the nearly 2,800 residents.
“If they didn’t lose a family member then they know someone who did. This is a Czechoslovakian community. People have been here for many years, many generations.”
Thompson Rice said nearly all the victims were members of West’s volunteer fire department, including the city manager.
More than 200 homes have been damaged or destroyed, along with a couple of schools, a nursing home and apartment complex.
She said that most residents have found temporary places to stay either with friends or family, but the Red Cross shelter is filling up with firefighters around the country.
They’re arriving for private funerals that begin Tuesday and a public memorial scheduled for Thursday.
“This is going to be a long-term recovery for this little town and a very, very emotional week,” said Thompson Rice. “But, you know what we are always seeing after every disaster and this one is no different, is that the human spirit is pretty amazing.
“People come together, they take care of one another, they grieve together, and they come up with a plan together.”
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.