TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) – Arizona authorities describe a chaotic scene from a weekend crash involving an SUV packed with 20 immigrants from Mexico and Guatemala as it fled the Border Patrol and flipped over, killing five people and injuring 15.
The vehicle was wrecked so badly that authorities had difficulty determining its make and model, and two injured immigrants attempted to flee the scene on foot but were apprehended.
The crash is the latest in a series of deadly wrecks involving immigrants being smuggled into Arizona from Mexico in recent years. It highlights the dangers faced by people trying to enter the country illegally.
The Chevrolet wrecked Saturday night while exiting Interstate 10 about 20 miles east of Tucson, Arizona Department of Public Safety spokesman Bart Graves said Monday.
Border Patrol agents were about a quarter-mile behind it when the crash occurred on the off-ramp to State Route 83, the department said.
“They were following it,” Graves said. “The driver obviously got nervous and decided to try to elude them.”
Department of Public Safety investigators believed the passengers had entered the U.S. illegally, he said.
Graves added the SUV apparently was a Tahoe, but investigators were uncertain because the vehicle was so badly damaged when it rolled and landed on its roof.
Of the 15 injured people, 13 were found at the scene, while two others ran off and were taken into custody by Border Patrol agents several miles away, Graves said.
Those hurt were taken to Tucson hospitals for treatment of injuries ranging from minor to life-threatening, Graves said. The vehicle’s driver was among them.
Graves said it could be a week or more before investigators formally declare the accident’s cause, but it appeared the driver lost control while driving too fast.
A spokeswoman for the Mexican consulates for Arizona did not immediately return a call for comment. Guatemalan Vice Counsul Jessica Mendoza declined to immediately discuss the crash, saying consular officials were awaiting confirmed information.
The Border Patrol said in a brief statement released late Sunday that agents tried unsuccessfully to stop the vehicle as it traveled west on I-10.
Border Patrol spokesman Brent Cagen declined to elaborate on the circumstances of the crash, or to comment on whether the vehicle’s passengers were in the country illegally.
Arizona has seen multiple fatalities in accidents involving vehicles carrying people who had entered the United States illegally.
A May 2012 crash in Casa Grande of a vehicle carrying 11 immigrants killed four people.
In June 2009, 11 of at least 27 immigrants “stacked like wood” were killed in an SUV rollover near Sonoita.
An August 2008 rollover near Florence killed 10 of 19 immigrants in an SUV.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food