PHOENIX — A pair of modified McDonnell Douglas DC-10s could be used to carried thousands of gallons of retardant to bomb fires in Arizona this summer.
“The DC-10 can dump the same amount of fire retardant on a fire in one shot that it would take smaller aircraft 4-5 flights to carry out,” said Rick Hatton, president and CEO of 10 Tanker Air Carrier.
The tanker, which normally has chartered American Airlines and Continental passengers, was used during the Wallow Fire in eastern Arizona two years ago and helped save the community of Greer.
“Quite often you’re just trying to prevent the fire from moving to someplace you don’t want it to be in. You’re not really putting it out, you’re blocking it,” Hatton said. “A freeway, ocean or river is good for that and if you don’t have that, you need to do it artificially and that’s what this tanker does quite well.”
Hatton’s DC-10s have flown on more than 125 fires in 12 states as well as two foreign countries in the past seven fire seasons. The tanker flew on seven wildfires in Arizona and New Mexico last summer: Little Bear Fire, 257 Fire, Grand Fire, Poco Fire, Six Shooter Fire, Fox Fire and 177 Fire.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development