PHOENIX — The head of the Greater Phoenix Economic Council is leading a delegation of Valley mayors and business leaders on a mission to Washington, D.C., next week.
Barry Broome with GPEC said the focus of the trip is immigration reform but jobs and trade are also on the menu.
Broome said there are about 65,000 Latino-owned businesses in the state, so the notion that Arizona is anti-Hispanic because of tough immigration laws like Senate Bill 1070. Broome said the support for immigration reform from senators Jeff Flake and John McCain gives the state a shot for an image makeover.
“Forty percent of our state is Latino. We’re a Latino state. We’ve been basically a political football and it’s time for us to step up.”
Broome said once the immigration reform issue is put to bed, the economic opportunity involving Arizona and Mexico is limitless.
Mesa Mayor Scott Smith agrees. He will join the delegation and said people are beginning to realize that the state had to enact tough immigration laws like SB 1070 because the federal government left Arizona no other choice and the economy suffered tremendously.
“It was Arizona’s cry for help in many ways,” he said. “It was throwing up our hands and saying we are tired of being ignored and we need something done. Our inability to fix the immigration system has cost us billions of dollars in lost trade and cost us lost opportunity.”
Smith said the lack of immigration reform has been a barrier and when the issue is solved it will open up a lot of opportunities between Arizona and Mexico.
“Mexico is our biggest trading partner but the potential is still untapped. We realize the real potential we have for trade.”
Avondale Mayor Marie Lopez Rogers, Scottsdale Mayor Jim Lane and others will join Smith on the trip.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food