PHOENIX — A national restaurant chain is downsizing in Arizona.
T.G.I. Friday’s said in a written statement that it has closed several of its Arizona locations due to undisclosed “business reasons.”
We’ve closed some of our restaurants in Arizona due to business reasons. This was a very difficult decision as we understand the impact it has on guests who enjoy dining at our restaurants, and on our team members who worked with us. We’ve partnered closely with our team members to provide job assistance and severance pay, as applicable. Our restaurants in Arizona are owned and operated by the Briad Group, our largest franchisee. They will continue to operate more than 70 Fridays across the U.S. We appreciate and thank our loyal customers for visiting our restaurants over the years.
Research Professor Tim James of Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business isn’t surprised about the closings.
“Friday’s has lost some of its distinctive nature,” he said. “Its sort of in a middle group of chain restaurants like Chili’s, Golden Corral, etc. They’re all trying quite aggressively to gain market share at the moment. Friday’s needs to find ways to refresh itself, make itself renew and make it attractive for people to go there again.”
Arizona Restaurant Association President Steve Chucri echoed James’ opinions. He said that the life cycle of any restaurant chain is about 20 years because restaurants lose popularity if they don’t refresh themselves. He called Friday’s a “tired brand,” and said he would not be surprised if more close around the country.
Two Phoenix locations are still open, including the Friday’s Front Row at Chase Field. One location in Tucson is also still open.
The Briad Group operates about 70 T.G.I. Friday’s locations nationwide.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier