PHOENIX — A national restaurant chain is downsizing in Arizona.
T.G.I. Friday’s said in a written statement that it has closed several of its Arizona locations due to undisclosed “business reasons.”
We’ve closed some of our restaurants in Arizona due to business reasons. This was a very difficult decision as we understand the impact it has on guests who enjoy dining at our restaurants, and on our team members who worked with us. We’ve partnered closely with our team members to provide job assistance and severance pay, as applicable. Our restaurants in Arizona are owned and operated by the Briad Group, our largest franchisee. They will continue to operate more than 70 Fridays across the U.S. We appreciate and thank our loyal customers for visiting our restaurants over the years.
Research Professor Tim James of Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey School of Business isn’t surprised about the closings.
“Friday’s has lost some of its distinctive nature,” he said. “Its sort of in a middle group of chain restaurants like Chili’s, Golden Corral, etc. They’re all trying quite aggressively to gain market share at the moment. Friday’s needs to find ways to refresh itself, make itself renew and make it attractive for people to go there again.”
Arizona Restaurant Association President Steve Chucri echoed James’ opinions. He said that the life cycle of any restaurant chain is about 20 years because restaurants lose popularity if they don’t refresh themselves. He called Friday’s a “tired brand,” and said he would not be surprised if more close around the country.
Two Phoenix locations are still open, including the Friday’s Front Row at Chase Field. One location in Tucson is also still open.
The Briad Group operates about 70 T.G.I. Friday’s locations nationwide.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon