Eight people were arrested last month in connection with a drug deal gone wrong, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The suspects made arrangements to sell 180 pound of marijuana to three men. During the meeting, the buyers were robbed, beaten, zip-tied and tossed in the trunk of a car by men dressed as police.
“We seized several weapons, many police badges and other law enforcement identifiers,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. “So you got these dope peddlers trying to rip off their customers posing as police.”
The alleged ringleader of the international drug smuggling operation, 40-year-old Edward Alvarez of Litchfield Park, was the first of the drug dealers to be arrested. He has been linked to the Sinaloa Drug Cartel by the Department of Justice.
When Alvarez was arrested, deputies found cash hidden in the wall, weapons and several police officer identifiers.
Brothers Robert E. Varner, 20, and Brandon Jesue Varner, 19, both from Tolleson were later arrested. MCSO believes there is at least one more suspect.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments