Eight people were arrested last month in connection with a drug deal gone wrong, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said.
The suspects made arrangements to sell 180 pound of marijuana to three men. During the meeting, the buyers were robbed, beaten, zip-tied and tossed in the trunk of a car by men dressed as police.
“We seized several weapons, many police badges and other law enforcement identifiers,” said Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio. “So you got these dope peddlers trying to rip off their customers posing as police.”
The alleged ringleader of the international drug smuggling operation, 40-year-old Edward Alvarez of Litchfield Park, was the first of the drug dealers to be arrested. He has been linked to the Sinaloa Drug Cartel by the Department of Justice.
When Alvarez was arrested, deputies found cash hidden in the wall, weapons and several police officer identifiers.
Brothers Robert E. Varner, 20, and Brandon Jesue Varner, 19, both from Tolleson were later arrested. MCSO believes there is at least one more suspect.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon