PHOENIX — Granting an undocumented immigrant citizenship instead of legal residency would benefit all Arizona residents, said an analyst from Arizona State University.
“If this population is allowed to eventually become citizens, that produces an economic impact that affects everybody in Arizona,” said policy analyst Mike Slaven from the Morrison Institute for Public Policy at ASU. “It’s not just those people, it’s not just those families, it’s everyone who participates in the economy.”
The report authored by Slaven, titled “Citizenship or Something Less: Economic Implications for Arizona” notes that “there are 190,000 workers in Arizona,” and that:
A reasonable, conservative estimate is that a path to citizenship could mean about $174 to $246 million in additional individual income a year in Arizona, and these additional earnings would go mostly to low-income families, making them more financially secure.”
While the Morrison Institute does not take a stance on issues like comprehensive immigration reform, “the evidence is strong that having more people be citizens has a positive economic impact and that should be something informs the debate,” said Slaven.
The analysis shows the first five years after a person is granted citizenship represents a $500 million impact to the state and $200 million to $300 million per year after that.
“Obviously immigration reform has a lot of objectives, there a lot of different issues that are at play — the economy is one of them — but the research is very strong that a state like Arizona would experience a positive economic impact if citizenship is part of the bill,” said Slaven.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food