PHOENIX — Despite all of the suspicious package scares at the offices of various politicians around the country, it’s business as usual in the Arizona State Capitol mailroom.
Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer’s spokesman, Matt Benson, could not give specifics on exactly how the mail is handed at the capitol, but did say that the state has security procedures in place regarding the handling of mail.
“Those procedures have not changed because of the incidents of the last 24 to 48 hours,” he said. “We’re confident that the procedures that we have in place are adequate at this time.”
Benson said no suspicious packages have shown up at Brewer’s office. Two suspicious envelopes were sent to Sen. Jeff Flake’s Phoenix office on Wednesday. It was later determined that they were not a threat. A Phoenix police officer was taken to the hospital as a precaution, but has been released. Two office workers were treated for anxiety.
Meanwhile, the Maricopa County Sheriff’s office said it won’t open any mail sent to its headquarters until further notice. A package addressed to Arpaio that had an explosive device in it was discovered and defused last week in Flagstaff.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.