PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is in support of the U.S. Senate’s decision to vote down a measure that would require background checks for gun sales.
President Barack Obama called Wednesday a “shameful day” for Washington.
Does Brewer agree?
“No,” said Brewer’s spokesman Matt Benson. “This is the way the Congress is supposed to function. The U.S. Senate debates and deliberates on these measures. Sometimes there are votes to pass them, and sometimes there aren’t.”
Benson would not say whether Brewer is happy with today’s vote.
“I wouldn’t say that she’s either happy or sad one way or the other on that proposal,” he said. “The governor has a record where she’s strong on the Second Amendment. She believes in gun rights, and she wants to make sure that the gun rights of law-abiding gun owners are protected and upheld.”
Brewer has said in the past that she won’t support any laws to limit who can carry a gun. Benson said Wednesday that Brewer supports efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and anyone who is a threat to the public.
“The trick is keeping the guns away from those populations without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and American citizens out there,” he said. “That’s easier said than done. That’s the issue that the Congress has to wrestle with and that work continues.”
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments