PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is in support of the U.S. Senate’s decision to vote down a measure that would require background checks for gun sales.
President Barack Obama called Wednesday a “shameful day” for Washington.
Does Brewer agree?
“No,” said Brewer’s spokesman Matt Benson. “This is the way the Congress is supposed to function. The U.S. Senate debates and deliberates on these measures. Sometimes there are votes to pass them, and sometimes there aren’t.”
Benson would not say whether Brewer is happy with today’s vote.
“I wouldn’t say that she’s either happy or sad one way or the other on that proposal,” he said. “The governor has a record where she’s strong on the Second Amendment. She believes in gun rights, and she wants to make sure that the gun rights of law-abiding gun owners are protected and upheld.”
Brewer has said in the past that she won’t support any laws to limit who can carry a gun. Benson said Wednesday that Brewer supports efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and anyone who is a threat to the public.
“The trick is keeping the guns away from those populations without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and American citizens out there,” he said. “That’s easier said than done. That’s the issue that the Congress has to wrestle with and that work continues.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon