PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer is in support of the U.S. Senate’s decision to vote down a measure that would require background checks for gun sales.
President Barack Obama called Wednesday a “shameful day” for Washington.
Does Brewer agree?
“No,” said Brewer’s spokesman Matt Benson. “This is the way the Congress is supposed to function. The U.S. Senate debates and deliberates on these measures. Sometimes there are votes to pass them, and sometimes there aren’t.”
Benson would not say whether Brewer is happy with today’s vote.
“I wouldn’t say that she’s either happy or sad one way or the other on that proposal,” he said. “The governor has a record where she’s strong on the Second Amendment. She believes in gun rights, and she wants to make sure that the gun rights of law-abiding gun owners are protected and upheld.”
Brewer has said in the past that she won’t support any laws to limit who can carry a gun. Benson said Wednesday that Brewer supports efforts to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and anyone who is a threat to the public.
“The trick is keeping the guns away from those populations without infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners and American citizens out there,” he said. “That’s easier said than done. That’s the issue that the Congress has to wrestle with and that work continues.”
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona